Electric bikes are becoming increasingly popular as a way to get around town and neighborhood or for short trips. They offer the benefits of traditional bikes, such as being good for your health and the environment, but with the added advantages of an electric bike motor to help you climb up hills or against the wind much easier.
But do you still have to pedal on an electric bike? The answer is an absolute yes, but it depends on the type of electric bikes you have. There are two main types of electric bikes: pedal-assist and throttle-controlled.
Pedal-assist ebikes have a motor that helps you pedal, but you still have to pedal to get the motor to work. The amount of assistance the motor provides can be adjusted, so you can choose how much or how little you want to pedal.
Throttle-controlled ebikes have a throttle that you can use to power the bike without pedaling. This means that you can ride an e-bike without pedaling at all, but you will not get as much exercise as you would if you were pedaling. Of course, many throttle-controlled ebikes have PAS for riders who would love to use pedals and throttles randomly.
Here are some of the benefits of riding an electric bike:
- They are good for both your mental and physical health. Ebikes are a great way to get some exercise without getting exhausted. Also, riding an ebike helps you commute freely. You have to wait for a bus or a train, just good-to-go anytime on your ebikes.
- They are good for the environment. Electric bikes produce zero emissions, so they are a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Ebikes are getting more and more affordable. Electric bikes used to be pretty expensive as they were rare and kind of fresh to many people. But now, an increasing number of ebike brands emerges, which leads to a lot more affordable and budget electric bikes for adults. Moreover, there are many ebike rebate programs for different regions in America, and it just makes ebike purchases more accessible.
- They are convenient. We can see many types of ebikes, and they can be divided into many categories, such as folding ebikes, off-road ebikes, electric mountain bikes, commuter ebikes, etc. They are designed for various purposes. So obviously, we have more choices when it comes to purchasing an ebike, which absolutely makes our life more convenient.
Here are some of the things to consider when choosing an electric bike:
- The type of terrain you will be riding on. If you will be riding on mostly flat terrain, then the power of the motor may not be that important. If you will be riding on hilly terrain, then you must select a powerful fat tire electric bike.
- The distance you will be covering. If you will be riding short distances, then you can choose a commuter ebike with a battery of average capacity. If you will be riding long distances, then you will need a long range ebike with a larger battery.
- Your budget. Ebikes range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. It is important to set a budget before you start shopping. Also, be sure to check out ebike rebate programs to see if you can reach the threshold.
- Test ride. If available, be sure to test out the ebikes you are going to buy for yourself. No matter what people online say about the ebike model, it is not your first-hand experience and will never decide how you feel on your ebikes. So, it is always a wise choice to take a test ride.
Once you have considered these factors, you can start shopping for an electric bike. There are many different e-bikes on the market, so you should be able to find one that meets your needs.If you are new to e-bikes, it is a good idea to take a class or tutorial on how to ride one. This will help you to learn the basics of e-bike safety and how to operate your e-bike.